About Aha! Parenting
Aha! Parenting supports you to create a more peaceful home -- and happy, responsible, considerate kids!
Are you looking for that Aha! Moment to transform your child’s behavior, or maybe your own?
Whether you’re wondering how to handle a specific challenge, just figuring out your child-raising approach, or ready to tear your hair out, you’ve come to the right place.
What is Aha! Parenting?
You know what an Aha! Moment is, right?
With our child, it’s that lightning flash of insight, when suddenly we see things from another perspective, and everything has the potential to be different. This website has Aha! moments for parents of every age child, from pregnancy right through the teen years.
- Do you want your child to WANT to cooperate, without yelling, bribes, threats or punishment?
- Would you like to connect more with your child to build a stronger, sweeter bond instead of struggling for control?
- Do you want to raise kids who grow up into happy, considerate, responsible, competent people?
- Do you consider yourself to be using some or all of the practices of “attachment” parenting, and want an experienced resource to consult about the challenges that emerge with each stage?
- Do you want to know how to raise a 21st century kid using eternal values?
- Do you want to feel more inspired and confident as a parent?
You've come to the right place!
About Dr. Laura
Dr. Laura Markham creates Aha! moments for parents of kids from babies through teens. She trained as a Clinical Psychologist at Columbia University, but she's also a mom, so she understands kids -- and parents! And she translates proven science into the practical solutions you need for the family life you want.
Dr. Laura is the author of the books:
- Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids: How to Stop Yelling and Start Connecting
- Peaceful Parent, Happy Siblings: How to Stop the Fighting and Raise Friends for Life
- The Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids WORKBOOK
The founding editor of AhaParenting.com, Dr. Laura also serves as a parenting expert for many websites. She makes frequent TV and radio appearances and has been interviewed for thousands of articles by publications as diverse as The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Real Simple, Newsday, Men's Health, Redbook and Parents Magazine. Over 130,000 parents subscribe to her weekly email.
Dr. Laura's relationship-based parenting model has helped thousands of families across the U.S. and Canada find compassionate, common-sense solutions to everything from separation anxiety and sleep problems to sass talk and cell phones. She lives in Brooklyn, New York and has two terrific kids who are the biggest advocates for peaceful parenting. They're now 22 and 26!
- Get your copy of Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids: How to Stop Yelling and Start Connecting and Peaceful Parent, Happy Siblings: How to Stop the Fighting and Raise Friends for Life
- Get Dr. Laura's coaching emails (twice weekly) or her weekly Aha! Parenting Best-of-the-week at no charge. The subscribe box is at the bottom of each page of this website.
- Browse Dr. Laura's ebooks and audios.
- Invite Dr. Laura to speak to your group!
- Join Dr. Laura on Facebook
- Follow Dr. Laura on Twitter
- Connect with a Certified Parenting Coach trained by Dr. Laura
Dr. Laura sounds three clear themes:
Regulating Our Emotions as Parents
Our most important responsibility as parents is regulating our own emotions, which is essential for our children to learn to manage themselves. That’s why Dr. Laura’s free coaching emails often focus on how to take better care of ourselves.
Connecting with Your Child
From tantrums to texting, the secret of happy parenting is a close relationship with your child. Without that connection, we have little influence (”My kids won’t listen!”) and parenting becomes exhausting.
Coach Instead of Controlling
Coach, instead of trying to control, so your child WANTS to cooperate with you. Sure, you need to set limits--but if you set them with empathy and respect, you’ll find your child is much more likely to comply.
What Are The Benefits?
- Your kids will be happier, more cooperative , and well-adjusted -- a joy to parent, most of the time.
- You'll be happier and more relaxed.
- Your family life will be more meaningful and fun. Connecting puts the sweetness back into parenting.
- You'll raise ethical, emotionally intelligent kids who are happy, considerate, self-disciplined, responsible, and likable -- without ever having to punish!
- You'll give your kids a real childhood while still preparing them for 21st century life.
- You and your kids will have a close, loving relationship for the rest of your life.
Parenting is tough, but it isn't complicated. Give yourself the support you deserve, with Dr. Laura's free coaching emails or her book, Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids: How to Stop Yelling and Start Connecting.